> So I'm lost. Here you're talking about protecting the entire North
> AmericanIT industry; whereas before, you were talking about
> employers hiring
> qualified employees. The latter might relate to the former in a
> little way,
> but it's only a small part of a possible implementation.

They're intricately related.  Part of the problem right now is that companies cannot differentiate between qualified and unqualified employeees.  So it becomes a game of price.  And overseas companies win on price.  We need to prove to companies that we're worth the price, and most importantly, that overseas companies are not worth the price, even if they're dirt cheap (because bad work is bad, no matter how little you pay for it).

But you
> don't want
> to talk about the problems of implementation, you want to talk big
> picture.
> Okay then. No. Professional designations will not save the North
> American IT
> industry. The only thing that will is laws and trade agreements.

I'd rather try other things than legislation first, to solve this problem.  But if we're going to talk laws, then how would that work?

"Thou shalt not allow IT operations to move overseas."

So, we need to define what IT is.

So, we need to how to determine if a person works in IT.

So, we need to come up with a baseline for this.  Designations would work well for this.  For sure, we can't leave this open.  Companies would simply state that they don't have an IT department (because by their own definition of their choosing, no one who worked in their IT department would meet it), and then move their IT operations.  The desig would provide a nice legal means of forcing companies to keep operations here.

As well, desigs would only be valid if the person had education/work experience in this country.  So, India/China/Timbuktoo could try all they want to match our education/experience/whatever, and they still wouldn't be able to break into our market.

> And why
> should I care about the North American IT industry? Why should I
> not be more
> concerned with protecting the US IT industry? Why should I care
> about adding
> Canada in to that?
>
> (I've got nothing against Canada. I'm just making the point that
> it may not
> be in US interests to protect Canadian workers.)

Sure it is.  We're a lot closer to the US than India/China is.  We have a large skilled, english speaking workforce.  We have a liberal government that would be more than happy to provide free training to the masses.  By protecting just yourselves, you've made it pretty easy for US companies to move IT operations across the border.