Silly me for trying to fax the application to the number on the application form you get on the website :)

Thank you Dharmesh, I was eventually able to get a fax through to the expedited number. I just hope my "proof of urgency" is what they need. I still can't get a human being on the phone that will admit to knowing anything about applications for birth certificates. I tried the Thunder Bay number not the one in Ottawa... if at all possible I'd like to avoid dragging my mother into it. She isn't as young as she used to be and she just had the flu.

I guess I will know they are processing it when they hit the Visa number....

I am still pretty speechless about the whole thing. The embassy in DC said that Thunder Bay was getting 1200 faxes a day so I should be patient with them. Well gee, maybe they need to add some capacity up there? Get more hamsters? Something? And what's with the receptionist in Dallas telling me the consular official is too busy to speak to me? Or return my call? Isn't that what consular officials are for?

Geeeeeeeez. Thanks for your help, though.
:)
Dana