> The machine WILL run the current games and won't be completely out-
> datedfor at least a couple of years... Surprisingly most PCs only
> last for
> (wait for it) a couple of years before they're outdated!

Yes, but PCs are completely upgradable.

> So, what you are trying to tell people who are looking to buy a games
> machine is:
> Spend at least $2,000 on a machine that's 100% upto date and won't be
> out-dated too quickly

It's pretty easy to buy a very good PC that plays games very well for well under $2000.

> Then either;
> 1) Be prepared to spend at least $1,000 a year on new hardware to keep
> 100% upto date

$1000?  I just upgraded my system for about CAD$400, and that was a new motherboard, proc, memory and case.

> BUT, any new machine will come with an OS that won't run your
> really old
> games!

Yeah, some of us like old games.  Maybe you don't.

> You do realise that not everybody HAS that amount of money to spend,
> right?
>
> Most home users who buy PCs to play the occasional game on don't care
> that it's out of date, and as long as it plays the games at a
> reasonablelevel, they're happy!
>
> Spending $500 on a PC which allows "Little Johnny" to play his PC
> gameson the TV rather than on the parents machine will be a
> godsend for most
> families who want a PC for their child's gaming!

Why not get little Johnny a PS1 then?  Lot cheaper than a Phantom, and little Johnny doesn't care otherwise.  And if they did get a Phantom, they'd have to rebuy any games they currently have.  Pretty expensive, if you ask me.

Judging from the rabid reactions from the Phantom message boards, it's people that want a top of the line system that they can use in their living room.