see, now for me up here in the Northwest, my first reaction on reading
the word slough is to pronounce it "slew."

As in Ebey Slough, Steamboat Slough and Seattle Slough (the racehorse)

slough1  (sl, slou) also slew (sl)
n.

   1. A depression or hollow, usually filled with deep mud or mire.
   2. also slue A stagnant swamp, marsh, bog, or pond, especially as
      part of a bayou, inlet, or backwater

will