>http://www.ducktapeclub.com/

Which says:

Duck vs. Duct
Originally a product of necessity, duct tape made its debut in
1942 during World War II when U.S. soldiers needed an all-purpose
adhesive tape to keep ammunition cases dry. Available in Army green
and referred to as Duck Tape because of its water-resistant qualities,
American GIs quickly discovered how useful the versatile tape was for
repairs. During the post-war housing boom, the tape picked up its
familiar silver color, and was used for household applications,
like on heating and air conditioning ducts, which is how it came to
be called duct tape.

In 1985, Jack Kahl renames his product "Duck Tape", and the original
name of the grey wonder tape soon becomes a household word.

=== just because an incorrect version becomes common doesn't make it right!
e.g. "Febawary" and "tempachur".

Neener, neener...
:-)

-Ben