All of this video editing stuff confuses the crap out of me, and really
makes me think that it's not a 'part time' kind of thing...but something
that one really has to master.

I wanted to take a 22 second video clip off of my minidv camcorder and put
it on a SD card on my pocket pc.  my first attempt resulted in a 75MB avi
(did I mention 22 seconds?).  Further experiments brought it down to 19MB
(did I mention 22 seconds?).  I think I finally got it down to 5MB, with
horrible, horrible quality.

What makes me think there's a definite science to this, is I downloaded an
MPEG clip called "Mike's New Car" (also seen on the Monsters Inc. DVD).
Now, it's not the full short film, but I'm certain it's over 22 seconds,
it's brilliant quality ('brilliant' being a relative term of course, given
the fact that it's being displayed on a pocket pc), and less than 4 MB.

Also, I've got some divx files that I wanted to copy over to DVD so the wife
and I could watch from the comfort of the couch, as opposed to sharing an
office chair and crouching over a computer monitor.  Haven't gotten that
figured either (best I could do was burn to a CD as a VCD).

Bought my DVD burner close to 6 months ago so I could burn the tons of dv
tape I have of my daughter to dvd to send out to relatives.  Nary a DVD has
been (successfully) burned.  But if I ever wanted to go into the coaster
business...or the shiny flying disc object business... (but hasn't AOL
cornered the market on those two?)

: \