That system I built for Deanna and hubby is a pretty stock box. From memory,
it's a Celeron 1.8 on an 845G board. Stock HSF. The case is a $32 wonder. I
even used the bundled PSU, though I may have switched out the case fans for
low speed Panaflos. Because budget was a priority, he's using the onboard
sound right now. But that's already way better than the audio he was using
on their old HP budget system. Using Seagate HD since from my experience and
other sources, it's consistently the most quiet.

The whole system cost something like $350.

-Kevin

> My husband uses N-Track Studio - which is fairly cheap and ran reasonably
> well on our old puter (low-end HP PIII, if I recall correctly), and is
> screaming on our newer puter that Kevin built. The only time he had
problems
> with it on the old system was when he tried to add too many effects. He's
> got something more high-end now, but for practice recording, I think
N-Track