“> http://www.theregister.com/content/54/36537.html

> Sony launches true electronic book
> By Tony Smith
>
> The Hitch-Hiker's Guide to the Galaxy - the real one, not that Douglas
Adams novel thingy - just came a step closer. Sony has launched its
first electronic book using what it calls "electronic paper".

> In reality, that means a high pixel density display panel. Unlike most
72dpi notebook and monitor panels, the one used in the Sony Librié
1000-EP is a 170dpi job. The display's resolution is 600 x 800. The
technology comes to Sony from Philips - the e-book uses Philips'
Electronic Paper Display, which is itself based on E-Ink technology.

> E-Ink's system uses charged black and white particles. Under the
> influence
of an electric field, the particles adhere to the panel, allowing them
to stay there when the current is removed. Power is only needed to
change the image, not to maintain it, making the technology suitable for
very low power applications. And the image is retained even when the
display's power is cut.

> Indeed, Sony said the device's four AAA batteries can supply enough
> juice
to view 10,000 pages.

> The Philips display is capable of creating four-level greyscale
> images,
presumably by varying the density of particles in a given area, much in
the way photos are reproduced in print.

> The Librié 1000-EP contains 10MB of memory and includes a Memory Stick

> Pro
slot for extra storage. You get about 500 books on a 512MB Memory Stick,
says Sony. But they are likely to be copy-protected - the machine
incorporates Sony's Open Magic Gate (OpenMG) DRM system.

> The unit weighs 190g and measures 12.6 _ 19 _ 1.3cm. In that space,
> Sony
has crammed in a USB 2.0 port, Qwerty keypad, speaker and earphone
socket (the Librié has a voice recording facility).

> Science Fiction author Arthur C Clarke once said that electronics
> would
only truly replace paper when manufacturers got the price down to the
level of a standard paper back. Judging by the Librié, they're still a
long way
off: it will cost ¥10,000 ($365) when it ships. Content will be
available on an 'all you can read' basis for ¥210 ($1.90) a month
subscription. ®
>”

NO word on whether you will be able to share your own documents because
of this DRM stuff. But sooner or later devices using this technology
will be made where the average joe can hand a memory stick to someone
and say here, take a read of the latest company report, or here’s a
short story I wrote, or here’s directions to my house. I’d like to get
one just…just to experience the technology. :-)

-Gel

--
Incoming mail is certified Virus Free.