A great book on this subject is 7 habits of highly effective people.  Habit
3 talks about scheduling for a week at a time rather than on a daily basis.
It also talks about there being 4 quadrants
QI  Important and Urgent
Q2 Important and Not Urgent
Q3 Not Important and Urgent
Q4 Not Importantand Not Urgent

Q3 is being driven by other people.  The goal is to spend as much time as
possible in Q2 so that Q1 doesn't happen very often.  Its very relevant.
The planplus program I spoke about earlier basically follows this, so the
book and the program work very well together.

They also talk about the FAT approach to handling things like email
File it
Act on it
Trash it

Basically stuff should only be handled once (twice at the outside).

If it just needs to be filed, do so immediately (I use a program called
Quick File which is also an Outlook add in).

If it needs to be acted on, I immediately schedule it as either an
appointment or a task (if I can do it anytime, I don't put a date on it and
Plan Plus considers it a Master Task and I schedule it later). Acting on can
mean delegating, scheduling time to do it

Trash is pretty self explanatory.

I've found those and a better search for Outlook via Lookout Search helps
keep me organized and on track.

  _____