First off, thanks Deanna for the link to the Steve Brill Website. Very
informative. I have armed myself with several books on North American edible
plants and tasted my first last night. I picked about a half cup of stinging
nettles tops and simmered them for about 12 minutes. Then added butter and
salt and pepper. Was bit nervous about putting this stinging plant in my
mouth, but did it anyway. Am I glad I did. Tastes like very hearty spinach.
Ate all of it. Then I drank the tea that was left over. Was damn good. Am
going to pick a bunch, and freeze some and dry some before it goes to
flower, so I can have tea and veggies.

It's a bit odd to be working with and washing a plant in your kitchen with
gloves on and then cooking and eating it.

Next it's burdock and dandelions (but have to get them both from the back of
the property as we are herbiciding our lawn -- no flames please about
spraying -- we've got a lot of lawn and no time to weed it -- we did try it
last year and removed buckets of weeds, with no visible difference this
year.)

Also identified Winter Cress, but this plant can only be used in the early
early spring before it flowers.