I understand your delight. I have been reaping the rewards of knowing what grows where for years.

I harvested this year's first batch of wild asparagus in Connecticut last weekend. Strawberries, blueberries, fiddlehead ferns, all will be available soon.

Here is a list of books on modern foraging you might look at:

Handbook of Edible Wild Plants and Weeds, Vol 1 by Fern J. Ritchie

The Encyclopedia of Edible Plants of North America by Francois Couplan, Ph.D., James A. Duke

The Neighborhood Forager: A Guide for the Wild Food Gourmet by Robert K. Henderson

Foraging New England: Finding, Identifying, and Preparing Edible Wild Foods and Medicinal Plants from Maine to Connecticut by Tom Seymour

Stalking the Wild Asparagus by Euell Gibbons

A Field Guide to Edible Wild Plants: Eastern and Central North America (Peterson Field Guides) by Lee Allen Peterson, Roger Tory Peterson
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/039592622X

Basic Essentials: Edible Wild Plants & Useful Herbs, 2nd Edition (Basic Essentials) by Jim Meuninck

Wild Fruits: Thoreau's Rediscovered Last Manuscript by Henry David Thoreau

Edible Wild Plants: a North American Field Guide by Thomas S. Elias

Identifying and Harvesting Edible and Medicinal Plants in Wild (And Not So Wild Places) by Steve Brill, Evelyn Dean

The Foraging Gourmet by Katie Letcher Lyle

Stalking the Healthful Herbs by Euell Gibbons

Wild Roots by Douglas B. Elliott

Tom Brown's Guide to Wild Edible and Medicinal Plants by Tom Brown Jr.