Bulldinkies I say.

I used to do 4-color process design full time. Still do sometimes.
(always good to do freelance work for a printer ;) )

A typical 4-color press can only print at 133 lpi (lines per inch) which
is 266 dpi. Your color-desk-jets even less.
If you send out to a high res color house for work, then they want it
150 lpi. Today's Heidelbergs may do better, but the press work I do
today is for typical ordinary presses.

I pride myself on the low file sizes I send out - and it comes back
perfect every time and the press men loves me because the jobs run
perfectly. Yeah, I'm a damn good pre-press girl and proud of it. :P

Side note & disclaimer: the majority of jobs I do are for commercial
print and design - local businesses, AT&T work, Lucent, Prudential. I do
not, I repeat NOT! Design stuff for glossy magazines or full color
books. I have been told that most custom houses ask for even higher dpi
images. BUT - from testing and playing, we figured out that a high end
job looked beautiful at no more than 150lpi.

So, again, *I* say it doesn't NEED to be 300-600dpi. Of course I always
do scans at 1200 - but then just resample down to 133lpi/266dpi. Every
time. B&W or color, didn't matter. Perfect results every time. :P

Cheers,
Erika