Lowry, Roy K wrote:
Hello Martin,

There is another possible solution to your problem, which we are looking at for
dealing with a data source flag to be used with the GEBCO bathymetric grid.
This is to put a URI base into an attribute that when concatenated with a flag
values gives the flag definition from a vocabulary server.  For example, having
a flag_definition attribute like:

URI_base='http://vocab.ndg.nerc.ac.uk/term/GGS1/current/'

For a flag value of 1, the resulting URL is:

http://vocab.ndg.nerc.ac.uk/term/GGS1/current/1

which is a live NERC Vocabulary Server URL returning the flag definition
attributes in a SKOS document.

I appreciate that this moves away from fully self-contained CF files and that a
standardised syntax for the URI base encoding is required, but I think this
provides a scalable solution to the flag definition problem.

Cheers, Roy.

Hi Roy:

If I was an application trying to use this feature, i would like to be able to
download all the possible values for this flag enumeration with one call to
your server. Is that possible?

I guess the other concern with external tables is ensuring that the writer and
the reader really have the same table. Is there some way to ensure that?