John-

On 3/25/11 4:54 PM, John Caron wrote:
On 3/22/2011 6:53 AM, John Caron wrote:
Consider:

int time(sample=1001);
:long_name = "Measurement time";
:standard_name = "time";
:units = "days since 1970-01-01";

vs

int time(sample=1001);
:long_name = "Measurement time";
:standard_name = "time";
:units = "3 days since 1970-01-01";

values = 1, 2, 3, ...

are these equivalent or does the second one mean every 3 days ? Is the
second one illegal ?

Im am going to assume that the second form is illegal, that is, you may
not have a number in front of the unit in a "time coordinate unit" (CF
section 4.4)

I agree with Beno that it should be legal. GrADS gives their units in terms of N (minutes, hours, days, months, years) from a reference time. When I wrote the GrADS IOSP, I originally was using this syntax, because then your time coordinate values are 0,1,2,..... However, 3mo intervals came up with the problems that you have shown here, so I converted everything to hours since the base date. But, if we had a library that would compute 3mo since 2011-04-01 as 2011-07-01, I would revert to that syntax because it is closer to the original GrADS definition.

Don
--
Don Murray
NOAA/ESRL/PSD and CIRES