Dear Philip

> 1) _attentuation_ and _extinction_ appear to have the same physical meaning,
> although the comments note that attenuation is more commonly used for radar
> and extinction is more commonly used for visible light. The number of
> std_names using each of them is 2 and 1, respectively, so it should be easy
> to fix with aliases.
> 2) _backscattering_ and _backwards_scattering_ also appear to have the same
> definition. The number of std_names using each of them is 1 and 4,
> respectively, so it should be easy to fix with aliases.  Although it is less
> common, I prefer _backscattering_ because it is a single word, and will
> generalize better to _forwardscattering_.

These are good points and I tend to agree with you. I am not an expert and
if there is a distinction someone will point it out, I hope. If there is no
distinction, the reason for the different choices would be because of what
is generally said, or from personal preference, I presume. It's a difficult
balance between making standard names use familiar terms, or making them use
consistent terms, but I would prefer consistency if it is still obviously
comprehensible to an expert.

Regarding the Mie scattering proposal, again I am not an expert on the science,
but I would comment that X_assuming_Y is generally used to indicate what X
would be in some hypothetical situation of assuming_Y e.g.
  surface_albedo_assuming_no_snow
which is not, in general, the same as surface_albedo as it truly is (although
it is often the same). It does not indicate a method of calculating X and,
as you say, we keep that out of standard names, because in principle a method
of measurement should not affect the definition of the quantity being measured.

Best wishes

Jonathan