Charlie and John:

Thanks for the discussion, this is really good background information for
the list.

The "effective" or "radiative center" height that we retrieve can be at
least 1 km below the true cloud top as measured by a lidar.   We also
produce a cloud top height product that matches well with lidar heights,
but this parameter is a function of the "effective" height, retrieved
cloud optical depth and other information.   So I hesitate to use the term
"cloud top" in association with the product we're discussing here because
it is clear that our height is at some depth within the cloud.

Kris
Kristopher Bedka
Senior Research Scientist
Science Systems & Applications, Inc. @ NASA Langley Research Center