John,

I like your idea of using distance to avoid automatic overloading of concepts!
The problem with defining altitude as being an orthometric distance above the
geoid is that neither satellite nor GPS vertical coordinates match this
definition.  Similarly, height as “height above the surface” has an inherent
problem with regard to CRSs, because none of them define the location of the
bottom of the atmosphere.  This definition of height forces it to be a relative
measurement that cannot be connected to a location on the Earth without a
corresponding measurement of the vertical distance of the surface above/below a
vertical datum.  Both of these terms are doomed by history to be ambiguous.  We
can define them to be a particular thing, but existing uses might be in
conflict with the new definitions.

Back to your suggested name format, I was wondering about the "above | below”
part.  They look fine to me, but is anyone not OK with the idea that a negative
distance above is below and vice versa?

Jonathan, in answer to your question about geoids, WKT has a clause “VERT_CS”
where a vertical datum is defined.  A geoid is, in most cases, realized as a
lat/lon grid in one or more files (often tiled), and is only identified by name.

Grace and peace,

Jim

Visit us on
Facebook        Jim Biard
Research Scholar
Cooperative Institute for Climate and Satellites NC
North Carolina State University
NOAA's National Climatic Data Center
151 Patton Ave, Asheville, NC 28801
e: jbi...@cicsnc.org