Hi all,

I think the CF convention document urgently needs updating to acknowledge the
existence of NetCDF4 features and take a stance on the interpretation of CF
within a NetCDF4 file.  I see this as a first step before we consider whether
to use NetCDF4 features explicitly in the CF model.  At the BADC data is being
provided, sometimes unknowingly, in NetCDF4 which is not strictly in the
classic model but is thought to be CF compliant.  We need to clarify what CF
compliance means in these case.

I suggest a few concrete things to clarify in the spec.
1. Clarify that, in the context of NetCDF4, a "NetCDF4 Dataset" doesn't have to
be a file.  It can be a group within a file.

2. Clarify the scope of coordinate/auxiliary variables applicable to a data
variable within a hierarchal file -- John's suggestion that variables in the
current group or a parent could be considered as in scope sounds reasonable.

3. Acknowledge the existence of the String type.  In my view the spec should
make clear that the type of string attributes in CF can be [char], String or
[String].  What is the interpretation of [String] when length>1?

These 3 things still keep the CF model essentially flat whilst explaining how
it should map onto the hierarchal NetCDF4 model with a string type.  This would
maintain backward compatibility for the time being.

I'm happy to participate in the discussion, although I'll probably find it
difficult to keep up.

Cheers,
Stephen.

---
Stephen Pascoe  +44 (0)1235 445980
Centre of Environmental Data Archival
STFC Rutherford Appleton Laboratory, Harwell Oxford, Didcot OX11 0QX, UK