Hi,

I've looked through the latest CF Conventions and CF Standard Names documents, but have been unable to find an answer (or example) to the following question:

How do I indicate that a variable representing a physical quantity is an in situ observation, a value that came from a model, or a difference or residual between an observation and a modelled value (observed minus modelled)?

My initial thought was to use the same standard name for each variable, but provide a standard name modifier. But after reading the appendix on modifiers, they seem to be used for something else. The standard names themselves only describe the physical quantity, but not whether or not they are an observed value or modelled value.

Please point me toward the appropriate documentation, if it exists. Thanks for your kind attention.

Cordially,
Aaron

--
Aaron D. Sweeney
Water Level Data Manager

Cooperative Institute for Research in Environmental Sciences (CIRES)
University of Colorado at Boulder
and
NOAA National Geophysical Data Center
Marine Geology and Geophysics Division
325 Broadway, E/GC3
Boulder, CO 80305-3328

Phone: 303-497-4797, Fax: 303-497-6513

DISCLAIMER: The contents of this message are mine personally and do not
necessarily reflect any position of NOAA.