From: CF-metadata <cf-metadata-boun...@cgd.ucar.edu> on behalf of Jonathan
Gregory <jonathan.greg...@ncas.ac.uk>
Sent: 18 May 2018 08:47
To: cf-metadata@cgd.ucar.edu
Subject: Re: [CF-metadata] Standard names for LS3MIP: 8 temporal changes + 1
feature depth

Dear Martin

I agree that the quantity doesn't exist everywhere, but that's the same if you
give it a name of its own rather than the more general name of depth. I suggest
that specifying the coordinate as soil_temperature specifically implies that
it must be non-existent where 0degC is above ground or there is no ground. The
value to be given in that case needs a convention, though not necessarily as
part of the standard name definition; it could be a CMIP6 convention. It's like
the non-existent thickness of sea ice in ice-free sea or land areas.

Best wishes

Jonathan

----- Forwarded message from Martin Juckes - UKRI STFC
<martin.juc...@stfc.ac.uk> -----