Dear Alison,

just a few minor replies:

> Thank you, Dirk, for providing a better definition of sea ice. I've taken
> your sentence and added a little more, in the hope of making the intention as
> clear as possible: ' "Sea ice" means all ice floating in the sea which has
> formed from freezing sea water, rather than by other processes such as
> calving of land ice to form icebergs.' Is that okay?

Yes, this is fine with me.

> 1.14 Martin suggested, and we are now agreed, that this one should be:
> tendency_of_surface_snow_amount_due_to_drifting_into_sea (kg m-2)
> ' The phrase "tendency_of_X" means derivative of X with respect to time.
> "Amount" means mass per unit area. The phrase "surface_snow" means snow lying
> on the surface. The specification of a physical process by the phrase
> "due_to_" process means that the quantity named is a single term in a sum of
> terms which together compose the general quantity named by omitting the
> phrase. The quantity with standard name
> tendency_of_surface_snow_amount_due_to_drifting is the rate of change of snow
> amount caused by wind drift of snow into the sea. The snow is assumed to melt
> as soon as it enters the sea.'

I recommend to drop the last sentence. Models don't have to melt the
snow as it enters the sea, though currently all I'm aware of do so.

> water_flux_into_sea_water_from_sea_ice_due_to_surface_drainage (kg m-2 s-1)
> 'The water flux into the ocean is the freshwater entering the sea water as a
> result of precipitation, evaporation, river inflow, sea ice effects and water
> flux correction (if applied). In accordance with common usage in geophysical
> disciplines, "flux" implies per unit area, called "flux density" in physics.
> The specification of a physical process by the phrase "due_to_" process means
> that the quantity named is a single term in a sum of terms which together
> compose the general quantity named by omitting the phrase. "Surface drainage"
> refers to all water melting at the sea ice surface and subsequently running
> into the sea.'
>
> Is this okay?

Almost :-) The phrase "all water melting at the sea ice surface" is a
bit odd, I find. I'd prefer something like "refers to all melt water
forming at the sea ice surface and subsequently running into the sea".

Thank you very much!

 Dirk