Perhaps one should refer to the discipline of hydrostatics for help with
this?  This paper, pulled from a quick search, has a diagram referencing
the platforms' frame of reference with respect to its center of
gravity.  Sorry if this comment is retrograde.

https://www.hindawi.com/journals/mpe/2010/934714/

J.

On 8/29/18 10:09, Ethan Davis wrote:
> Hi Jim, all,
>
> I'm a bit confused by the "clockwise" and "anticlockwise". You mention
> the orientation of the observer but not the location/orientation of
> the clock. My assumptions (not sure why) for the clock: for roll, the
> observer (who is facing forward) would be facing the clock; for pitch,
> the observer would look right to see the clock; and for yaw, the
> observer would look down to see the clock. That works for your
> definitions of pitch and yaw, but is backwards for roll.
>
> Does "clockwise" add, in some way, another degree of freedom to the
> definition? Does that degree of freedom need to be nailed down in the
> definitions? Or other terms used instead? I don't have any good
> suggestions other than "positive" and "negative".
>
> Cheers,
>
> Ethan
>
> On Wed, Aug 29, 2018 at 9:03 AM Jim Biard <jbi...@cicsnc.org
> <mailto:jbi...@cicsnc.org>> wrote:
>
>     Hi.
>

>     I've finally gotten back to this topic! The definitions below call
>     out an attribute named "direction" that is used to specify the
>     direction for positive values of the different quantities. We may
>     need to add a definition for the attribute to the Conventions. The
>     values and meanings for the direction attribute are:
>
>     roll: "clockwise" for positive right side up and "anticlockwise"
>     for positive right side down.
>     pitch: "clockwise" for positive nose up and "anticlockwise" for
>     positive nose down.
>     yaw: "clockwise" for positive nose right and "anticlockwise" for
>     positive nose left.
>     surge: "positive" for positive forward and "negative" for positive
>     backward.
>     sway: "positive" for positive left and "negative" for positive right.
>     heave: "positive" for positive up and "negative" for positive down.
>
>     And here are the standard name definitions:
>
>     platform_roll: Platform is a structure or vehicle that serves as a
>     base for mounting sensors. Platforms include, but are not limited
>     to, satellites, aeroplanes, ships, buoys, ground stations, and
>     masts. Roll is a rotation about an axis (the X axis) that is
>     perpendicular to the local vertical axis (the Z axis) and is
>     coplanar with the nominal forward motion direction of the
>     platform. Roll is relative to the “at rest” rotation of the
>     platform with respect to the X axis. The “at rest” rotation of the
>     platform may change over time. The direction for positive values
>     of roll is specified by an attribute named direction. The value of
>     the direction attribute is "clockwise" if positive values of roll
>     represent the right side of the platform rising as viewed by an
>     observer on top of the platform facing forward. The value of the
>     direction attribute is "anticlockwise" if positive values of roll
>     represent the right side of the platform falling. The
>     directionality of roll values is unspecified if no direction
>     attribute is present.

> [...]

John Helly, University of California, San Diego / San Diego Supercomputer
Center / Scripps Institution of Oceanography / 760 840 8660 mobile /
http://www.sdsc.edu/~hellyj
ORCID ID: orcid.org/0000-0002-3779-0603