Hello Simon,

If you look at the definition for
ocean_mixed_layer_thickness_defined_by_temperature you will get a better
understanding about what sea_water_temperature_difference is about. It is an
auxiliary co-ordinate variable used to specify the temperature change that
defines the base of a mixed layer. Consequently, it has nothing to do with your
requirements.

So, you need a new Standard Name. I would suggest:

sea_water_temperature_anomaly

Canonical Unit degrees Kelvin (note actual units in data files can be deg C)

'anomaly' means difference from climatology. Sea water temperature is the in
situ temperature within a water body.

Cheers, Roy.

I have now retired but will continue to be active through an Emeritus
Fellowship using this e-mail address.