Dear Simon,

Thank you for prompting this discussion - it seems there is certainly support
for introducing a new standard name as follows:
sea_water_temperature_anomaly (Canonical units: K)
'The term "anomaly" means difference from climatology. Sea water temperature is
the in situ temperature of the sea water. To specify the depth at which the
temperature anomaly applies, use a vertical coordinate variable or scalar
coordinate variable.'

This name is accepted for publication in the standard name table and will be
added in the next update, planned for December 17th.

Two brief points arising from the discussion of this name:
a) the addition of this name does not of course preclude any discussion of a
different way of describing anomalies within the CF conventions in future;
b) the appearance of a name in the standard names editor (as pointed out in
Simon's most recent post) is a way to keep track of proposals as they progress
through the various stages of discussion, but doesn't in any way replace the
mailing list discussion. I will now mark sea_water_temperature_anomaly as
'accepted' in the editor, which means it will automatically be added to the
list of published names at the next update.

Best wishes,
Alison

------
Alison Pamment                                 Tel: +44 1235 778065
NCAS/Centre for Environmental Data Archival    Email: alison.pamm...@stfc.ac.uk
STFC Rutherford Appleton Laboratory
R25, 2.22
Harwell Oxford, Didcot, OX11 0QX, U.K.