Hello Alison,

I would like to return to the "product_of" terms because Jonathan has, in
another thread, drawn attention to the guidelines on the ordering of "X" and
"Y" in "product_of_X_and_Y", namely:

If X and Y are both scalars or both components of vectors, they are put in
alphabetical order. If one of them is the component
 of a vector, it is put first i.e. the vector component is X, the scalar is Y.
(http://cfconventions.org/Data/cf-standard-names/docs/guidelines.html)

The terms we have discussed below involve products of the
"lagrangian_tendency_of_air_pressure" .. which I would interpret as the
vertical component of the velocity vector in pressure coordinates. I am not
convinced that it appropriate to follow the guidelines rigidly here, as that
would imply  product_of_eastward_wind_and_lagrangian_tendency_of_air_pressure
and product_of_lagrangian_tendency_of_air_pressure_and_northward_wind. It would
surely be better to use the ordering (1) horizontal, (2) vertical for these
terms.

-- This specific problem goes away if we regard

"lagrangian_tendency_of_air_pressure"
as a scalar .. but we run into a similar issue with terms such as
product_of_geopotential_height_and_lagrangian_tendency_of_air_pressure and
product_of_lagrangian_tendency_of_air_pressure_and_specific_humidity. These are
essentially advective fluxes, so I believe we should place the air pressure
tendency first.

This would improve consistency with existing terms such as
product_of_upward_air_velocity_and_air_temperature.

I.e. I suggest the following names ... the first two as you approved earlier,
and the last 3 reversing the order of "X" and "Y":

  *   product_of_eastward_wind_and_lagrangian_tendency_of_air_pressure
  *   product_of_northward_wind_and_lagrangian_tendency_of_air_pressure
  *   product_of_lagrangian_tendency_of_air_pressure_and_specific_humidity
  *   product_of_lagrangian_tendency_of_air_pressure_and_air_temperature
  *   product_of_lagrangian_tendency_of_air_pressure_and_geopotential_height

regards,
Martin