Thanks. I didn't think to look. It's a reanalysis dataset so not measured directly. The units are PSU. I'm not sure either "methods" below apply. The observed data for ORAS5 reanalysis is from here

https://agupubs.onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/full/10.1002/2013JC009067

I'll ask an oceanographer here if he has any idea about this.

Cathy

On 9/10/19 11:23 AM, Andrew Barna wrote:
Hi Cathy,

There is already the name `sea_water_salinity_at_sea_floor` in the CF standard
name list. However, if you know the scale you are calculating, a new name
should be added to indicate this:
sea_water_practical_salinity_at_sea_floor if using PSS-78
or
sea_water_absolute_salinity_at_sea_floor if using TEOS-10

I can come up with some definitions if you would like to have either of these
proposed to the list.
-Barna

On 2019-09-10, at 07:04, Cathy Smith <cathy.sm...@noaa.gov> wrote:

Thanks. I will use that variable.

I also calculated salinity of the ocean floor. Same question.

Cathy

On 9/9/19 3:44 PM, Andrew Barna wrote:
Hi Cathy,

There is the name `sea_water_potential_temperature_at_sea_floor` with the
following definition:
Potential temperature is the temperature a parcel of air or sea water would
have if moved adiabatically to sea level pressure. The potential temperature at
the sea floor is that adjacent to the ocean bottom, which would be the deepest
grid cell in an ocean model.

 From what I can tell, there is no “in situ” sea water temperature name at the
sea floor. I’d suggest the following name for this parameter with canonical
units K:
`sea_water_temperature_at_sea_floor`

Here is a possible definition basically modifying the above to remove the
“potential” parts:

Sea water temperature is the in situ temperature of the sea water. The
temperature at the sea floor is that adjacent to the ocean bottom, which would
be the deepest grid cell in an ocean model.

There should probably also be a modification of the existing
sea_water_temperature definition to include this new name if it is accepted:

The sentence:
"There are standard names for sea_surface_temperature,
sea_surface_skin_temperature, sea_surface_subskin_temperature and
sea_surface_foundation_temperature which can be used to describe data located at the
specified surfaces.”

Should be changed to:

"There are standard names for sea_surface_temperature,
sea_surface_skin_temperature, sea_surface_subskin_temperature,
sea_surface_foundation_temperature, and sea_water_temperature_at_sea_floor which can