I have used the eval of SQL Server Standard with Cold Fusion, and I have
used the Eval on SQL Server 7 Desktop running on an NT Workstation 4.0 SP4

I have never run SQL Server on a 9x environment but MS Claims that it will
work.

Check your protocols and make sure the CF box and the SQL box are using the
same thing as their primary connection protocol. If they are the same box
try using 127.0.0.1 as the DB server when creating the datasource. If they
are on the same box then set both CF and SQL to run as the same user, and
when you create the datasource do not assign a username/password.

Hope one of these helps.