>I think the issue comes down to if its costing Yahoo or NOT for the
content.
>If they are paying for the content, but we are then pulling from them for
>free, I'd say that is illegal because they have bought the right to that
>Data FEED (not necessarily the info).  If the person is providing the data
>for free, either to Yahoo, or for us to gather directly, I would say we
>would all be in the clear.

Not necessarily.  As we all know, nothing is truly free.  Even if Yahoo
doesn't pay any money for the data feed they most likely are under some sort
of contractual obligation that details how they may use that data.  If one
of the stipulations in that contract is that Yahoo does not release the data
en masse to any other parties, then Yahoo might be held accountable if
someone were to pull the data from their site and re-distribute it (as in
the CF tag).

The source of the data feed probably gets *something* in return for the data
they supply, and if someone were to get the data from Yahoo instead they
would be, in effect, stealing (or at least depriving the source of whatever
goods/services they receive in exchange for their data).

Of course, I'm not a lawyer either <g>.

Just my two cents,
Seth Petry-Johnson
Argo Enterprise and Associates