Hi Jennifer,

> At 09:02 AM 4/10/00 -0700, you wrote:
> >Hi Dick,
> >
> >We upgraded to 4.51 and it seemed to cure quite a few ills. So far no
> >damage. We had previously installed the hot fixes for CFHTTP and CFMAIL
and
> >had switched some CFMAIL calls off to another machine so we didn't have
many
> >problems there. It now does allow the 20,000,000 AOL users that couldn't
> >complete our pages do so...seems really strange to me that they would
allow
> >such crap to be issued as a release in the first place as an 'upgrade' ;)
>
> You can't really mean that. The problem is on AOL's end. CF Server now

Oh yes...I really can mean it ;)...and the problem was with CFServer with
O'Reilly's Website

OR

AOL fixed the problem as we were installing 4.51 ;)

> accommodates the problems on AOL's end. Do you honestly want Allaire to
get
> accounts with every major ISP so they can check to see if the ISP's stupid
> procedures mess up the sites? I used to work at a hosting company and the

Of course not...but I would think that they would test it on the LARGEST
modem community in the world...duh!

> focus was on video hosting. Every time we had a broadcast, we would get
> inundated with tech support calls from AOL users asking us why our site
was
> broken. You can't imagine how many times I had to explain to people
exactly
> why they needed to get a real ISP. AOL uses cached proxy servers and it is
> bad bad bad.

I also do tech support and know just how lame AOL users can be and have used
that same explaination as you did ;), however, that doesn't cover the fact
that submit buttons or graphics buttons or verity searches wouldn't work
using an AOL account until we upgraded to 4.51 (they worked fine with 1.5,
2.0, 2.5, 3.0, 3.1, 4.0 and 4.1) from 4.5

> The really funny calls were the AOL users who said "What do you mean you
> don't do tech support for AOL? You're the Internet, right?"

I understand...we have several hundred customers that use our lines to
connect to their AOL accounts and it's tough to explain to them why their
AOL mail doesn't work ;)