He's not off-base at all. I've had plenty of first-hand experience with AOL
breaking every RFC in the book when it suits their purpose. Their caching
proxy servers are so completely evil as to defy belief. I've personally been
affected by them caching cookies and authentication data to such an extent
that multiple users end up contaminating each other's sessions. In the worst
case, a user who happened to come through the same proxy as another user was
able to jump into a secured area via the previous user's http authentication
data. Only a complete moron would cache this data, and allow it to be used
by another user.

I have called their tech people in the past in order to try to solve these
issues, and was treated VERY rudely by their staff. I was told "This is the
way we do it, if you want to do business with our customers, you will do it
our way."

AOL is an evil bully that makes Microsoft look like a pansy.

BTW, in order to defeat AOL's proxies, to make the world safe for dynamic
content and e-commerce, ALL of the following headers should be used (you
should modify the time zone in Last-Modified to your time zone):

"Pragma: no-cache"
"Cache-Control: no-cache, must-revalidate"
"Last-Modified: " & dateformat(now(), "dd mmm yyyy") & " " &
timeformat(now(), "HH:mm:ss") & " GMT-7"
"Expires: Mon, 26 Jul 1997 05:00:00 GMT"

>>AOL has millions of users.  This is quite a large target customer base.
I suggest you show them a bit more respect.<<

I love this. I do have respect for their user base. However, AOL as a
company is a monopolistic, bullying bunch of spammer-harboring, slack-jawed,
mouth-breathers that cares NOTHING for the Internet community and for the
companies that share the Net with them. They never have, they never will.
They are Satan incarnate.

Michael J. Sheldon
Internet Applications Developer
Phone: 480.699.1084