> Anyone have any numbers in how may users can be on a single
> CF NT box at one time? I understand quality of coding and how
> beefy the box are big factors.
>
> Pent III 500
> 256MB Ram
> 3 - 9 GB in a Raid 5
>
> Fair code.

Unfortunately for you, there is no meaningful way to answer this question.
There are just too many variables. How intensive is the process that each
user follows? How many database queries are required for each user? How
intensive are those queries? How much memory will be used for each user's
session?

> When you cluster a Cf server:
> Does the load simply get disbursed between both servers?

Generally, in a clustered web server environment, load gets distributed
across the clustered servers. There are variations in this. You might
distribute only the initial request, but then have all subsequent requests
from the same user go to the same server, which would allow you to use
Session variables. Or, instead of using the "sticky session" clustering just
described, you might have a fully load-balanced environment where each
request goes to the least busy server.

> Is it a true (or close to true) 2x (assuming two servers)
> load handling improvement?

This depends on what causes the bottlenecks within your application. If
you're running very intensive database queries, you can have as many
clustered web servers as you want, but in all likelihood, they're hitting
the same database server or cluster, so you won't see a performance gain in
that case.

> Can clustering be done on the fly? (with only a few reboots)
> Or do I have to install two servers at the same time as a
> clustered pair?

You'll generally have to install additional software on each server, but
this can be done after the fact, so to speak. If you use the ClusterCats
option provided by CF Enterprise Edition, you'll need to reinstall CF to
install ClusterCats, if you didn't choose that the first time you installed
CF. I wouldn't call clustering setup "on the fly", exactly, as there's a
decent amount of setup required.

Dave Watts, CTO, Fig Leaf Software
http://www.figleaf.com/
voice: (202) 797-5496