I can't believe that this is causing me so much grief.
Last night I tried the following

<CFQUERY>
INSERT INTO (Tablename.BooleanField)
VALUES ('.T.')
 <CFQUERY>

I also tried
VALUES (.T.)
VALUES ('T')
VALUES (T)
VALUES ('#.T.#')

and none of these work.
The strange thing is that I can add records using SQL through Access (
although I suspect that Jet is doing conversion on the SQL) and then update
the field using

<CFQUERY>
UPDATE Tablename SET Tablename.BooleanField = 0
WHERE Tablename.CompanyID = 5
<CFQUERY>

or

<CFQUERY>
UPDATE Tablename SET Tablename.BooleanField = 1
WHERE Tablename.CompanyID = 5
<CFQUERY>

will toggle the field to True or False