On Tue, 16 May 2000 00:02:17 +0100, Russ Michaels <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Your gonna be needing to do some reading up on database servers before you
> embark on this methinks.

I am a BSc. with a CS major, one of my final courses was for the most part made up of
studying SQL in Ingres, so I do know some things about database servers driven by SQL,
and using them from commandline based tools.

> There is a big difference between an Access database file and SQL Server. A
> database server does not have separate files like Access, the database are
> self-contained within the server itself.

Correct, but different servers will do things differently, SQL server (so far as I can
see) stores a database in two seperate files once created - .mdf and .ldf (data and
transaction log files), my question is can I just replace these files with newer
versions to bring the remote database schema up to date, or will I have to interact
with the server and re-create my database every time ?

> You do not have a GUI for making your databases like Access, you write
> scripts that build them for you. Although there are a number of 3rd party
> products that will connect to your database and allow you to build the
> scripts visually.

Have you used SQL Server ?  The enterprise manager looks an awful lot like a GUI to me
:-)

> A database server really needs to be a completely separate machine rather
> than installing SQL server on the same machine as your webserver. You can
> setup different partitions and have a live server and a development server
> if you are not able to have a SQL server locally.

It's not my problem where the server is - I don't even know if it is in this country,
as I say we don't own our own servers,  I don't develop directly on the hosts servers
but on my own workstation and then synchronize the two, partly this is so I can change
things while the application is live and then just upload the changes once everything
checks out and partly because our own net connection isn't the hottest of items
sometimes :-(