>Correct, but different servers will do things differently, SQL server (so
>far as I can see) stores a database in two seperate files once created -
>.mdf and .ldf (data and transaction log files), my question is can I just
>replace these files with newer versions to bring the remote database
>schema up to date, or will I have to interact with the server and
>re-create my database every time ?

I have done this before, it does work, But you have to be careful. All SQL
Server services should be stopped, then you should replace the files, and
start the services.

The DB I got it to work on was a small one with fairly static data.

In order to do it via CF I would remote stop the services using the netsvc
command that comes with NT Server Resource Kit 4.0 (the file does work on
2000). Then use cffile to move the file, then use the netsvc command again
to start them.