On 5/17/00, Dave Watts penned:
>This isn't actually an SQL Server issue, but rather that the Access Upsizer
>creates triggers, when in SQL Server all you need is a declarative
>referential integrity rule.

So that's what DRI is. It asks whether you want to use Triggers or
DRI when upsizing. Triggers are the default, so that's what I went
with. Should I go to DRI?

>You're generally better off not using the Access
>Upsizer to create your database, but rather creating the tables yourself
>with a script or the Enterprise Manager GUI, then using Access to push the
>data to the server. The Upsizer doesn't set up indexes the way you'd want
>them, so you might want to take a look at them as well.

 From what I've seen, the upsizing wizard in Access 2000 does a much
better job than it did in 97. All my indexes, data types and
relationships seem to have been created pretty much intact. The
problem I have with this particular app, is I'm going to be
demonstrating it on my server with MSDE. I just don't have the profit
margin at this point to buy SQL Server and an Internet Connector
license. When I get to that point, I plan on purchasing a box solely
to run SQL Server on, as per the many times I've been told that's the
only way to go. If this thing flies, it will go a long way toward
that goal.

As far as I know, and I have never been able to get a definitive
answer, I can't create the database on my local machine with SQL
Server (running the desktop edition of the Evaluation) and then
register it (is that the correct term?) with MSDE on the public
server. If I can, I'd love to hear the steps. Otherwise, I'm going to
have to move the Access database over then upsize there, and without
an Enterprise Manager, I won't be able to do anything to it. If I'm
missing something, please tell me.

Bud Schneehagen - Tropical Web Creations

ColdFusion Solutions / eCommerce Development
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
http://www.twcreations.com/
954.721.3452