On 5/30/00, Shawn Regan penned:
>I want to find out what people are doing to calculate shipping costs. Are
>most people setting a global shipping price, or are they pulling the prices
>from the shipping service and getting a price back based on location?

I personally tries to cover alot of bases in my cart.

1. Get prices from UPS (Thanks to BF's tag)
2. Flat fee per order.
3. Fee per item
4. Fee based on $x.xx for 1st pound and $x.xx for each addt'l pound.

One thing to remember if you go the UPS online route is, the max
weight per item is 150 lbs. So, if you sell 3 - 60 lb. items and do
one call to UPS for 180 lbs. you'll get an error. I set mine up to
where it will loop to UPS for each item, or based on when it gets to
a certain weight or not at all. Another fine line is, if you're
selling things that are small and light and other things that are
heavy, the looping can get tricky. If you go to UPS 5 times for 1/2
lb. items, it returns that first pound charge for each item. So, that
way it may return 75 bucks when in reality it may only cost you 15-20
if you can get all 5 one lb. items in a small package. In that case,
I set it to loop at the weight of the heaviest item.
--

Bud Schneehagen - Tropical Web Creations

ColdFusion Solutions / eCommerce Development
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
http://www.twcreations.com/
954.721.3452