> I have an application that sets many different local
> variables (about 40 or so) on each page load ... We are using
> a few custom tags here and there and it would be great to use
> the request scope instead of local just for ease of use.
>
> Does anyone have any comments on performance of setting local
> vs. request scope variables?  What if any are some of the
> drawbacks of going this way?  Resources, speed ect..

It will make absolutely no noticeable difference as far as performance. It
will only make a difference in a conceptual sense. By that, I mean that if
you write CFML custom tags with clearly defined inputs and outputs (to the
degree that you can clearly define outputs in custom tags), the Request
scope won't be especially useful; on the other hand, you can write your
custom tags a little more loosely so that they take advantage of the Request
scope. Personally, I generally prefer the first approach.

But again, it won't affect performance one way or the other.

Dave Watts, CTO, Fig Leaf Software
http://www.figleaf.com/
voice: (202) 797-5496
fax: (202) 797-5444