At 11:52 PM 7/24/2002 -0500, you wrote:
>I understand what you are saying about clearly stating the inputs (and the
>outputs) to make sense of what is going into the tag...
>But in this case, we are basically passing variable datasource and table
>names, color settings and such...  Any noticable parameters are being passed
>as attributes to the tag specifically.
>
>Would this be considered poor practice?

  On the contrary, I think this would be considered a good programming
practice.  It promotes code reusability.  Basing a custom tag on parameters
in the request scope violates code modularization principles, and in my
opinion is bad.  Others do not agree with me.

  I'm reminded of something that one of my college professors told me.
  In the real world, 90% of the people will use global variables because
they don't understand proper parameter passing.

  The request scope is global to a single request, so putting variables in
it can be considered the use of global variables.
  ColdFusion doesn't allow you to specify if you are passing by value or by
reference, however it does do that behind the scenes (Structures / objects
are passed by reference and simple values / arrays are passed by
value).  (<-- or is that just to UDFs? )

  With all that said, not everyone is going to agree with me and I guess it
is open to interpretation.

--
Jeffry Houser | mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Need a Web Developer?  Contact me!