And in those corporate environments where the system admins wear Microsoft
socks and Bill Gates underwear?  Throwing Apache onto the production web
servers might not get you employee of the year.  ;)

While Apache may be able to do so much more so much easier (for some!),
sometimes you have to figure out a way to work with the tools you have ...

IIS will allow you to backup and restore your configuration.  Right click on
IIS in MMC and you should have the option to do that.

As for handling the marketing folks' desires, there is a way to handle this
in IIS without relying on the 404 message handler.

1) Create a sub-directory that you will use for all these requests, say
maybe 'people', so the request would look like
http://www.mydomain.com/people/billhenderson.  Or, alternatively set up a
subdomain: people.mydomain.com/billhenderson.

2) In IIS, for that directory or subdomain, go to properties and choose the
directory tab.  Change the 'When connecting to this resource, the content
should come from:' option to 'A redirection to a URL', and enter in the
redirect to box "/people.cfm?person=$0".  (use the help on that tab to see
other options)

3) Now the URL http://www.mydomain.com/people/billhenderson will be
redirected to http://www.mydomain.com/people.cfm?person=/billhenderson.

Same basic effect as Apache, just a little more(?) work to set up and a
little less flexibility.

Dan