-----Original Message-----
From: Matt Liotta [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
Sent: Thursday, August 01, 2002 4:34 PM
To: CF-Talk
Subject: RE: Does Macromedia have some current strong Flash agenda?

>> 1) You can build a full web application with it now via Flash
Remoting.
>> VERY easily I might add.
>>
>Easily as compared to what? Certainly not as compared to just HTML and
CFML.

Compared to Flash 5.

>> 3) Server load, if you build an application with Flash, the amount of

>> data that needs to be pushed back and forth between a client and
server
>> can be greatly reduced, which can mean MAJOR bandwidth/transfer cost
>> reductions to your client.
>>
>Prove it. I know MM claimed this with their Pet Market application, but
that doesn't mean >it holds true for all Flash applications.

Etrade has a stock quote component on their home page.  People would put
the quote in, reload the whole page to get the data.  They changed it to
a Flash piece, only that changed.  Saved around $400 million for them in
bandwidth charges.

>> 4) It's a "universal" component.  People can view your application on

>> windows, mac or the right phone without worrying about CSS and JS
>> issues, etc...
>>
>Not quite. There are a number of platforms that support browsers that
the Flash player is >not available for. Additionally, some platforms
that are supported have limitations that
>others do not.

Well universal was quoted for a reason.  But nothing is perfect.  Any
app will need tweaks, etc...

-t