> I never thought of this as an 'issue'. I thought it
> was just the nature of the client-server relationship.
> If the page never makes it to the client (as it was
> my understanding that <cflocation> executes 100% server
> side), then the cookie couldn't/wouldn't be set.

This isn't really the case. When you use CFLOCATION in a page, the server
returns an HTTP response to the browser. This response contains a Location
header, which instructs the browser to request another URL. There's no
reason why the response can't also contain a Set-Cookie header, but CF in
the past wouldn't let you do both at the same time. Other CGI programming
languages/environments did allow this.

Of course, you could have worked around this limitation in previous versions
by simply using CFHEADER to "manually" set the Location and Set-Cookie
headers in the same page request, I suppose.

Dave Watts, CTO, Fig Leaf Software
http://www.figleaf.com/
voice: (202) 797-5496
fax: (202) 797-5444