Do you truely have enough control over the document numbers such that
an identity field can be used as the doc ID?

This means:

   you cannot control the number that is assigned

   you may have missing numbers

   you cannot easily reserve/preassign blocks of numbers

If so, you can do the following:

    CREATE TABLE Documents
     (
       DocID         Integer Identity,