> Hello all,

> I am a CF certified developer (missed advanced by three points) but am
> thinking of expanding my horizons/marketability.  I have started getting
> up to speed in ASP/VBScript but the question keeps coming up:  should I
> even spend any time doing this or should I just concentrate on CF?  The
> more e-mails I read in this list, the more I realize how powerful CF is,
> but should I keep all my eggs in one basket so to speak?  Any good advice?

Personally I would focus lesson ASP/VBScript than on PHP, XML, J2EE and
possibly .NET which Microsoft obviously wants you to use with ASP but I hear
can also be used with CF. I heard mentioned not too long ago that PHP
recently superceded ASP as the most widely implemented scripting language on
the web ( although I can't quote source or confirm the rumor )... And of
course, there are similar rumors about the advancement and longevity of XML,
J2EE and to some extent .NET (though I'm apt to think a lot of the hype for
the last one is due in large part to the marketing power$ of Micro$oft --
not that I think most of the hype over PHP has much to do with anything
other than it's being free, which was one of the big reasons ASP had such a
foothold for such a long time, because it was preinstalled on an OS people
were already buying). I haven't really heard anyone in a long while say
"Man, you've got to get into ASP, it's where the future is" ...

hth

Isaac Dealey
Certified Advanced ColdFusion 5 Developer

www.turnkey.to
954-776-0046