I am having a big problem with an old standard login system.  This is the
most simple login system I know and have used it for years.

It consists of:
Login form page
Login action page
Main page
Session variables tracking who is logged in

The user enters in their login acct, the action page compares it against the
db, then sets some session variables and uses cflocation to forward them to
a new page or back to the login page if they fail.  The application page
checks for the session variable to see if they're logged in and uses
cflocation to send them back to the login page if the var doesn't exist.

Up until August 19 it worked fine on all browsers.

After then, it works fine on about 75% of the instances of IE6 in our
enterprise.

It fails on about 1 out of 4 IE installations including my own!

What happens is the user logs in, the database accepts the login and uses
cflocation to send them to the main page.  Then Application.cfm checks to
see if they have the correct session variable and uses cflocation to forward
them to the login page.  I can display the session vars at the bottom of the
login action page during testing, but as soon as I turn cflocation back on,
the session variables do not exist on the main page after the action page.
They disappear.  Yes they exist on most instances of IE and they exist in
every single instance of NS that I tested.

I have a working version of IE 6 that can login with no problem- I have
modified my internet options (ESPECIALLY the cookies/privacy options) to
match that machine exactly, but still the problems persist on my machine.

The only thing that I did that could have affected this on August 19 was
that I remember that morning getting a request to log into MS Passport to
access my hotmail account.  Other than that, I changed none of this code.

Since 25% of our users seem to be affected by this problem, it's a big deal
for us.

I have asked EVERYONE about this and no one has seen this one before.  Have
any of you heard about this before or does anyone have any suggestions of
how to go about debugging this?

Thanks,

Don Smith