I have a very similar story to Benjamin's.  Form fields that absolutely,
positively are accounted for (required on the form, cfparam'd on the
action page etc. etc.) and cannot be blank... are on random occasions.
Not just IE5 on the mac, unfortunately.  Various versions of IE and NN.

Did the same exhaustive research.  Never found an answer, although my
form construction is more solid from the efforts.  Happens to maybe 1
form submission out of 100, although come to think of it I haven't seen
one of these in quite a while.  I'm using CF 4.5.1 sp2.

Was interested to note Isaac's comment on nesting form tags inside of
tables.  I do that all the time, for the same reasons Isaac did.  What
browsers barf on that?  I've never seen it be an issue... Or is it just
bad nesting practice?

--Matt Robertson--
MSB Designs, Inc.
http://mysecretbase.com