> What does  [^>]*? Mean exactly?  I seem to be using
> something similar in my old code but can't remember
> what it means.

[^>] means match any character other than >

* means match 0 or more of the previous expression, so in this case 0 or
more of any character other than >

the ? after the * is probably unnecessary, but I've gotten in the habbit of
it -- it makes a * or a + match a minimum number of characters necessary to
match the previous expression, as opposed to the default greedy result... In
this case it's probably just superfluous.

> I know perl regular expressions and this doesn't seem to
> make sense. [^>] means expression starting with a > then * is a
> modifier meaning zero or more and ? is a modifier meaning
> 0 or 1 times.  I don't understand how that is legal regex.

I'm not sure aobut PERL, but in CF ^ is only start of string if it's at the
beginning of the expression, so REFind("^...") will match the beginning of
the string ... Starting a character grouping with ^ like this [^0-9] the ^
becomes a "not" operator, so it's match all characters not in this group.

> Is CF regex that much
> different then perl?

I wouldn't know, I don't really know much about PERL.

Isaac
Certified Advanced ColdFusion 5 Developer

www.turnkey.to
954-776-0046