On Sunday, September 8, 2002, at 06:01 , Joe Eugene wrote:
>    I am not sure if this is the case.. did u see the second post i made to
> Matt?

Yes.

>     Example
>         class Simple {        // note no public/private should default to
> public in Java

No, it is *not* public by default. Such a class is *not* accessible by an
external system. Java requires that you specify "public class Simple" if
you want "Simple" to be accessed outside of that package.

>         now take the code.. compile and run it.. you should get the method
> called..

No you won't because your class is not public.

>         remove the main() and call it with <CFOBJECT> it starts to
> complain...

Of course. You took out a *public* method that accessed the class
*from*within* and didn't leave any public interface.

> its a real pain to start and stop the server in development.

/coldfusion stop
/coldfusion start

Takes a few seconds. Not much of a pain at all. But I agree that
configuring hot load would make it even easier.

> Well is hot load implemented
> for CF classes.. i mean how is that implemented in CFMX?

CF checks the timestamp on the *source* .cfm / .cfc file and if it is
newer that the version it has already compiled, it compiles it (to Java
and then compiles the .java to .class) and explicitly reloads the .class
files. It can do this because it starts the process off by accessing a
file and can do each step explicitly. This is very different from having a
running Java system and dropping a new .class file in - the JVM does not
normally look at the timestamps every time it invokes a class / method.

-- Margaret Atwood