On Mon, 9 Sep 2002 15:52:15 -0700, in cf-talk you wrote:

>Actually, that is not entirely correct. While it is fair to say that
>CFMX makes use of a just-in-time (JIT) compiler, many people in the
>industry have a different notion as to what that means. Specifically, a
>JIT generally is thought to compile code in machine code just in time to
>execute it. With CFMX, CFML code is compiled into Java bytecode, which
>is then interpreted by the Java interpreter. A specialized version of
>the Java interpreter called HotSpot includes a JIT that compiles parts
>(hot spots) of the Java bytecode to machine code and executes them just

I assumed I wasn't "entirely" correct, but that it was close enough
for his purposes. But, that's interesting about the, um... JIS
(Just-In-Spot :) compiler strategy. Hadn't really had time to read up
on the details of CFMX operation yet, so I wasn't aware of that.

It makes me cringe a bit thinking about it. There are so many more
things that could theoretically go wrong with a JIS strategy...  but I
guess it works fairly well -- It's about the only thing I think
nobody's complained about yet.

>in time. Further, VB is not a compiled language; it is interpreted as
>well.

Mind you, I haven't seriously used VB since a cgi project back in 1997
but I was under the impression it was an option to compile your VB
code these days. I could easily be wrong though.  Not that I guess it
matters all that much, VB being a dead language now.

--min