On Friday, September 20, 2002, at 08:54 PM, Sean A Corfield wrote:

> On Friday, September 20, 2002, at 08:03 , Dick Applebaum wrote:
>> http://www.oracle.com/start/apple/intro.html?src=1439096&Act=5
>
> Hmm, that looks suspiciously like it *requires* Jaguar?

It says it does require Jaguar, as does Sybase.

Sybase uses Rendezvous, which is Jaguar-only.

I don't know about Oracle though -- the install docs say that you need
Jaguar Server, but you don't.

Jaguar is worth it it -- Quartz Extreme runs the Aqua GUI much faster
-- it is even faster on my iMac 333.

Worth the $, probably save you 1/2 hour, or so, a day & a lot of neat
new stuff.

Like movin' from 5.0 to MX!

>> There is a bit in the install guide that loses me step 4, (below)
>>
>> I don't have any lsnrctl file!  (listener control)
>
> That's the Oracle executable that starts the database listener. There
> should definitely be a listener control program in the installed
> distribution. Once I've caught up (345Mb download and install) I'll see
> what's up.

Let me know -- maybe it installed it and didn't update the sys
contents database (I can never remember how to do that)

Anyway, it gets updated by a cronjob (daily, I think).

Dick