OK, I have VIM running on the Mac.  I know that others have touted VIM,
but I don't see the advantage -- it looks like several other
command-line editors available on *nix systems.  It appears to be heavy
on key-entry and light on GUI.  It appears that to become proficient,
one must learn yet another series of keyed commands.

I guess my questions would be:

1) what are the advantages of using VIM over other editors (CLI or GUI).

2) what are the specific advantages to CFML, HTML,Java,  JavaScript
coding.

3) Is it worth the effort to learn to use this editor?

No offense intended, but VIM seems rather retrograde when compared to
some of the GUI editors currently available.

I know an editor is a personal thing, but if one already is comfortable
with BBEdit, JEdit, Studio, whatever -- what would be the advantage of
learning VIM?

It seems to me that you would be giving up quite a bit!

I don't want to get into a Pi**ing contest -- I am sincerely interested
in the advantages of VIM.

Am I missing something?

Dick